Monday, September 29, 2014

I've had a bunch of things I wanted to write about here recently, but in an effort to stay on top of priority tasks while also having time to enjoy the absolutely glorious, picture perfect weather...well, maintaining this journal just hasn't risen to the top of the to do list.

I've had a short break from campus (this fall's schedule is great) which ends tomorrow, so I thought I'd take advantage of being *almost* caught up and mention two things.

First, Ken Burns' The Roosevelts. I have one episode to go (love the freedom of roku) and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. One thing I wanted to note, however, was that I thought the sixth episode really glossed over (by giving only about two sentences of voice-over coverage to) the internment of American citizens of Japanese descent during WWII. This was especially obvious as a contrast to the POV concerning TR and his inclinations to war / imperialism, where there is much commentary from talking heads (one segment that comes to mind is George Will at his most prune faced, scolding us to look at TR with a "dry eye").

Second, I continue to be alarmed by the quality of student writing. No dry eyes here, I need a hanky. Or maybe an aspirin.


1 comment:

Gray Lady said...

Hi Gina -- I'm paying you a return visit, since it's been such a long while. I see that you are still busy teaching. And thinking. And blogging. I don't post on my blog as much as I used to. My one good news is that Finishing Line Press is publishing my very first poetry chapbook. I will send you an email about it in case you might be interested. Enjoy the wonderful weather, while it lasts!