Wednesday, April 27, 2005

It really burns me that the tax deduction is only for K-12 teachers, I spend a fortune on my classes and rarely ask for reimbursement. The paperwork is such a hassle, and the dept. is always wringing its collective hands over the budget. I know that's mostly BS but for some reason I don't care about anything like that any more. Plus, this way the haul is mine - to take elsewhere, or just to admire as they collect dust on a shelf, if need be.

Not caring has been so good for my outlook. Maybe I am crazy. I really do get such a rush out of teaching, despite all its aggravations. Last night's class was especially good, it would be nice if I could manage to get them so engaged at the beginning of the semester instead of the gradual run up to the end. But I guess it takes a while to create a comfortable atmosphere. I'm afraid with a few exceptions, in most undergraduate classes outside of the school of ed the classroom isn't very pleasant. (Not to give myself too much credit, it helps that last night's discussion didn't involve a lot of reading.)

No comments: