Thursday, October 17, 2002

Spent too much of the day tinkering with AOL 8.0. As it turns out, the problem wasn't solved yesterday and I had three chats with Tech Support. I can use it, but each time I exit I have to delete a file called global.org and then re-select the cable modem connection every time I sign on. I now have a list of things to try to rectify this problem that will take a lot of time, energy and patience. So for the moment I am satisfied with the deleting global.org thing. I hope this isn't the first indicator that I need a new machine. What an unpleasant thought, but I know it is coming, and probably soon. This one is rather old, although still above the supposed system requirements. And since I must have another IBM (I'm thinking NetVista) because I can't abide any other kind, I'd rather not replace it immediately...I've long thought that this single fact - that fairly computer literate, yet not very techie veteran users like me haven't found an application that forced us to upgrade the hardware - is the reason for the sagging tech sector. I believe it is all thanks to Microsoft, which having gobbled up market share, fails to produce anything even remotely innovative (or even as good as its gasping for air competitors). The beauty of advertising, eh? But will AOL be it for me? Time will tell, although I really don't have the time to re-install and migrate all the files that will be needed for complete system upgrade. It makes me tired to think of it. January break would be the soonest, I guess. So I hope to sort it out without needing to resort to that.

This weekend, October 19 and 20, is the Ulster County Artisan Path. My sister makes Annie McSpirit Handmade Soap, and she will be demonstrating soap making at Creative Spirit Gifts in Olivebridge, NY. Sure is pretty this time of year, so if you want to do a little leaf peeping, enjoy arts and crafts, and maybe some early holiday shopping, this sounds like the event!

No comments: