Tuesday, May 21, 2002

Tuesday Too #13

1.) Do you have a "little kid" adventure story? Consider the term "little kid" relative to your age.

Well - yes, I have many, but I also have minimal time at the moment...how about an adventure story I wrote when I was seven? It's called A Cat in a Boat and it is posted on my website.

2.) What issue would you like to see the Supreme Court of the United States grapple with, or perhaps there's a case you feel they should re-think? Why this particular issue or case?

I have a fondness for history and I tend to take the long view of things (I have a cherished memory of a professor saying in history class, "a decade does not an era make," in response to students getting worked up over some trend, election, legislative bill, conspiracy theory or other) so I guess I don't have a burning interest in, or worry about any particular case. I did notice some other posts on the sex offender issue, and I saw something about it on the news last night. I've thought a bit on the subject for years, starting when a law was proposed (or passed) -- in I think it was NJ -- bearing a victimized child's name. It's really easy to understand why registries to inform communities are appealing, and in all honesty, seem necessary and right. But when I soul-search the question it strikes me as kind of in opposition to the tenets of our system. It also makes me wonder if we have murder registries? Finally, if an offense is so likely to be serial then why are the offenders paroled in the first place? Is a registry the best way to deal with this difficult issue?


3.) What is the URL of the most weird site, or the URL of what you consider a dangerous site? If it's a dangerous site, why do you think it's dangerous.

I'll go with dangerous. I'm sure there are others much worse than the one I'm posting, but after my recent plagiarism episode this is what comes to mind (there are many others in this category): Evil House of Cheat.

4.) You wake-up on death row, and you realize it's not a dream. Even though there is copy of Death Row for Dummies on your bed, you decide to question the guard. What do you ask, and what advice does he/she give you?

I'm stumped by this one. Society would have to change a lot for me to imagine this as a possibility, and I'm not a science fiction writer.

No comments: